Research has shown that a controlled breathing rate can help achieve a more relaxed and calm state of mind. iRelief paces your breathing ratio and aims to help you regulate your Heart Rate Variability (HRV) and achieve inner coherence through each training session.
Controlled breathing is believed to produce benefits such as:
- Freeing the whole system from tension, not only the physical body but also the conscious and subconscious mind.
- Relieving symptoms of asthma.
- Getting rid of negative emotions like depression, anger, arrogance, greed & so on.
- Improving the circulation of blood throughout the body and balance your blood pressure.
- Enhancing the function of several organs, which include the kidneys, pancreas, intestines, diaphragm, lungs and the heart.
- Removing the toxins from within the body.
- Preventing various diseases by strengthening the immune system.
When your heart beats, blood is pumped through your blood vessels, causing micro color changes on the surface of your skin. iRelief uses your phone’s camera to detect the changes in color intensity of your fingertip, using it to detect your heartbeat. A special algorithm is then used to calculate your Heart Rate Variability (HRV), which is then used to calculate your HRV’s coherence with an ideal HRV.
HRV stands for Heart Rate Variability. It is the variation in the time interval between heartbeats, and is measured by the variation in the beat-to-beat interval of your heartbeat. BPM stands for Breaths Per Minute, which is the number of breaths taken within 60 seconds.
Unfortunately, the LED is used to aid the camera in acquiring an accurate input from your fingertip. Turning it off would result in poor and inaccurate measurement results.
Please make sure that your finger is gently covering the entire rear camera lens, but not the LED. A bright environment (eg. sunlight) could cause overexposure, which results in the camera unable to detect your finger. Please use this app in a well lit indoors environment for best results.
It can be modified in the Settings page, under Breathing Ratio. Currently we offer three different kinds of breathing ratios: Relaxing, Energizing, and Balanced. You are encouraged to try out each of these ratios and experience the different results.
Although tested against real world medical devices, iRelief’s accuracy is dependent on surrounding lighting conditions and is only meant as a casual heart rate monitoring tool. It is best to use an ISO Certified medical device where accuracy is critical.